The art of selling products and services to people has been around for ages. Until now, selling is one of the most lucrative professions ever created. However, the difference between before and now is the competition. Every year, competition has become even tougher and bolder. If you have been a salesperson for years and you see a decline in your performance, maybe it’s time for you to start anew with fresh and innovative tactics and give your old tactics an early retirement.
The business landscape and the market have changed tremendously. They developed new ways of reaching out to their customers. They even open up new markets to maximize the potential of their products and services. With the advancement of technology, selling has become more competitive for the suppliers and more convenient for the companies needing the products.
How do salespersons like you be on the top of this highly competitive age? Here’s how:
1. Customers have the habit of saying “NO”. Do not believe it the first time you hear it. You will be amazed at how fast they convert the “NOs” to a “YES.” If you remain calm and say the things you said better the next chance you get, there is a high possibility that the customer will say “yes”. In case you were not able to close the sale with your customer, do not lose hope. End in a good note and try calling again in a month or two, you might be amazed of her response to you. They may say yes the next time around when they have had time to consider your product. Companies are rarely impulsive. They need time to consider all possible angles before making a decision.
2. Nothing beats the original. Avoid copying other styles of selling just because you think it is cool and it might be worth a try. Fresh tactics attract more customers so be sure to develop your own brand of selling.
3. As a good salesperson, you should be able to express and explain the “what’s in it for me” line for your customer. They want to know how your product will benefit their company. Be sure that you know the benefits of your products and services by heart so you can explain it well to your customer. Concentrate more on your customer’s benefit rather than yours.
4. It is good to maintain your confidence in yourself and in your products. If you are confident in both, it shows in your expressions, words and actions. Your customers get a good impression. If you have a negative outlook, this easily reflects on your actions as well. This can influence the customer and nudge them towards deciding whether to buy from you or not.
5. The dream technique does wonders for sales people as well. Dream what you can become in the future. It will reflect on your outlook, goals and attitudes in life. It is a very good motivator.
6. In selling, never use scare tactics. It is best if you cultivate a great sense of humor because it will make your customers at ease with you. You will easily build rapport with them.
7. It is wiser for a salesperson to maintain a list of his former customers and track what happen to them. From time to time say hi and ask about the product you sold them and check if they are satisfied. This way you maintain a good relationship with your customers because you will never know when you may need them again for another selling. The next time you sell a new product to your customer, it would not be difficult to convince them again.
8. A good salesman is always on the look out for new markets and does not stop at the most comfortable market he knows. New markets are good fishing grounds for new customers.
9. Always have a ready compliment for your customers. Do not focus on their difficulty for you as clients but on things you can admire. Try to understand where they are coming from.
10. Customers always want to hear what’s new. You should always carry good news. Though you may have the same sales pitch over the years, try to reveal something new about your products and services and try to say the sale pitch in a refreshing way. Your customers may be looking at a chance to upgrade and if you do not respond quickly, other salespeople can take them away from you.
These are the top 10 give-away tips to remain on top of the ladder. Never forget them and you will have the chance to earn millions.